Friday, January 6, 2012

Adjushi: The orange thief

So it doesn't happen often in Korea, but there are occasionally days where really strange things happen.

The first day of work at my school, I was given a set of keys, one for the office and one for my desk drawer. It turned out that the key to my desk drawer was the wrong key, and no one knew where the actual key had been placed. I was told that I was out of luck and not to put anything valuable in my desk. So all year I've had an unlocked drawer.

This morning, I did the usual. I walked into the office, put my bag in the small cubby below my desk, and was about to place my ipod into my drawer when I realized it was locked. O_O No one had a key, and I hadn't locked it. My coteacher and I tried to use a bit of elbow grease and some muscle to get it open. Let's just say that didn't quite work. :/

We ended up calling the head of the math department who just happened to also be the school handyman. You have to understand that married men in Korea over the age of 40 are called Adjushis. Adjushis tend to be quite opinionated and funny. When the math department Adjushi finally came to our office, he spent the next 20 minutes trying to figure out why the wrong key was not turning let alone fitting in the drawer lock. He spent ages wondering out loud about the key. Then he spent another 20 minutes commenting on how the previous native english teacher smelled and looked like he never took a shower.

My coteacher looked like she wanted to throttle him. I thought the whole scene was just really funny.

He ended up leaving for lunch after a while only to come back with a drill. While he was drilling holes out the sides of my desk, I was busy signing stacks of completion certificates for students. He finally got my drawers open and then proceeded to comment on all of their contents.

Eventually, I left him to fix the drawers and then I heard it, a very distinct munching sound. I looked up and the math Adjushi had eaten the oranges that were on my desk! I was gutted.... OTL

(Lee edit: "OTL" is a Korean thing that is supposed to look like an exasperated person bending down on the floor - the "O" being the head, the "T" being the torso and arms, and the "L" being the bent legs)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hot Sonakshi Sinha, Car Price in India